Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PORTBURY

PORTBURY, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Somerset. The village stands adjacent to the Bristoland Portishead railway, near Wans dyke, 1½ mile W of the river Avon, and 6 W N W of Bristol; occupies the site of a Roman station, where Roman coins, foundations of Roman villas, and other Roman relics have beenfound; and has a post-office under Bristol, and a railway station. The parish includes the tythings of Abbots, Caswell, Claptons-Wick, Court, Cross, Failand, Hamgreen, Happerton, Honor, Peters, Sheepway, Watchouse, and Woolcombe; and is in Bedminster district. Acres, 3, 849; of which 130 are fore-shore water. Real property, £7, 310. Pop., 677. Houses, 135. The manor belongs to Sir W. Abdy, Bart. An Augustiniancell to Bromere priory was here, and has left some vestiges. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £400.* Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is ancient; and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and chapel, with a fine tower. There are a parochial school, and charities £9. The hundred contains also eleven other parishes. Acres, 26, 369. Pop.in 1851, 10, 765; in 1861, 11, 558. Houses, 2, 242.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a hundred"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Portbury AP/CP       Portbury Hundred       Somerset AncC
Place: Portbury

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.