Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PRESTON (East)

PRESTON (East), a parish in Worthing district, Sussex; on the coast, ½ a mile S E of Angmering r. station, and 3 E of Littlehampton. Post-town, Little-hampton, under Arundel. Acres, 609; of which 120 are water. Real property, £1, 439. Pop., 320. Houses, 55. A workhouse for 19 parishes, constituting the East Preston poor-law union, is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 82 inmates. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Ferring, in the diocese of Chichester. Charities, £14.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: East Preston CP/AP       East Preston Inc/PLU/RegD       Sussex AncC
Place names: EAST PRESTON     |     PRESTON     |     PRESTON EAST
Place: East Preston

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.