Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PRESTON-GUBBALS

PRESTON-GUBBALS, a parish in Atcham district, Salop; adjacent to the Crewe and Shrewsbury and to the Shrewsbury and Oswestry railways, 1½ mile W of Hadnall r. station, and 4½ N of Shrewsbury. It contains the township of Merrington and the hamlet of Bomere-Heath; and has a post-office under Shrewsbury. Acres, 2, 281. Rated property, £2, 471. Pop. in 1851, 393; in 1861, 478. Houses, 106. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £129. Patron, Dowager Lady Tyrwhitt. The church is ancient; and there are an Independent chapel, and charities £5.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Preston Gubbals Ch/CP       Atcham PLU/RegD       Shropshire AncC
Place: Preston Gubbals

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.