Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for RAMPTON

RAMPTON, a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire; on an affluent of the river Ouse, 1½ mile E N E of Long Stanton r. station, and 7 N by W of Cambridge. Post-town, Cottenham, under Cambridge. Acres, 1, 312. Real property, £1, 966. Pop., 240. Houses, 50. The manor belongs to H. Effingham, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £342.* Patron, the Rev. F. Strong. The church is a rubble building, with a tower. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £20.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Rampton AP/CP       Chesterton PLU/RegD       Cambridgeshire AncC
Place: Rampton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.