Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for RAMPTON

RAMPTON, a village and a parish in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands 1½ mile W of the river Trent, 2½ S S E of Leverton r. station, and 6½ E S E of East Retford; and has a post-office under Newark. The parish comprises 2, 155 acres. Real property, £4, 219. Pop., 496. Houses, 99. The manor, with R. House, belonged to the Babingtons; passed to the Stanhopes and the Eyres; and belongs now to H. Eyre, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £260.* Patron, the Prebendary of Southwell. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a lofty tower; and contains monuments of the Babingtons, the Stanhopes, and the Eyres. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a free school, and charities £17.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Rampton AP/CP       East Retford PLU/RegD       Nottinghamshire AncC
Place: Rampton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.