Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for RAWMARSH

RAWMARSH, a village and a parish in Rotherham district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the Doncaster and Sheffield railway, 2¼ miles N by E of Rotherham; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under Rotherham, and a temperance hall. The parish contains also the hamlets of Upper Haugh and Stubbin, and parts of Lower Haugh, Parkgate, and Kilnhurst. Acres, 2, 448. Real property, £26, 258. Pop.in 1851, 2, 533; in 1861, 4, 374. Houses, 880. Rose Hill and Parkgate are chief residences. There are collieries, iron-works, steel-rolling mills, potteries, and chemical-works. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £600.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The parochial church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1839; and a church at Parkgate was built shortly before1868. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £62 a year, and charities £73.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Rawmarsh AP/CP       Rotherham PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Rawmarsh

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.