Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ROYTON

ROYTON, a large village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Oldham district, Lancashire. The village stands at the terminus of the Manchester, Oldham, and Royton railway, near the junction with it of the Oldham and Rochdale railway, 2 miles N N W of Oldham; is a place of some antiquity and note; numbers among its natives the mathematicians Butterworth and Kay, and the botanist Mellor; carries on industry inlarge cotton factories; and has a post-office under Oldham, ‡ a railway station with telegraph, another r. station at R. r. junction, a police station, a public-bath, a church, three dissenting chapels, a national school, and several libraries, improvement societies, and other insituations. The chapelry comprises 1, 352 acres, and is in Prestwich parish, and within Oldham borough. Real property, £20, 566; of which £628 are in mines, and £220 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 6, 974; in 1861, 7, 493. Houses, 1, 562. The property is not much divided. R. Hall was given, by Edward II., to Sir John de by ron; belongs now, to Sir J. Radcliffe, Bart., the chief landed proprietor; and has been divided into tenements. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Prestwich.—The sub-district contains also the township of Thornham, and comprises 3, 350 acres. Pop. in 1851, 8, 484; in 1861, 9, 520. Houses, 1, 941.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a large village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Royton Ch/CP       Oldham PLU/RegD       Lancashire AncC
Place: Royton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.