Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SALFORD-PRIORS

SALFORD-PRIORS, a village and a parish in Alcester district, Warwick. The village stands near the confluence of the rivers Arrow and Avon, adjacent to the Malvern and Alcester railway, 4 miles S by W of Alcester; took the latter part of its name from an ancient priory, of which no traces exist; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Evesham. The parish contains also the hamlets of Salford-Abbots, Dunnington, Cock-Bevington, Wood-Bevington, Parkhall, Pitchell, Rushford, and Irons-Cross. Acres, 4, 730. Real property, £8, 580. Pop., 858. Houses, 188. The property is divided among a few. The Vineyard was the seat of Sir S. Clarke, owner of the manor in the time of Elizabeth; and is now a ruin. Park Hall belongs to the Marquis of Hertford; and is occupied as a boardingacademy. Salford-Abbots House, now called the Nunnery, belongs to J. Eyston, Esq.; was occupied by French Benedictine nuns, from about the end of lastcentury till about 1856; and is now partly a farm-house, partly a Roman Catholic chapel. Roman relics have been found. The rocks are chiefly of the lias formation, and abound in fossils. There are extensive marl pits, asalt spring, and a petrifying spring. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £176.* Patron, the Rev. S. Garrard. The church has a spaciouschancel, a S aisle separated by heavy arches, a flamboyant N window, and a tower 60 feet high; and was repaired and much improved in 1859. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £41a year, and charities £7.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Salford Priors AP/CP       Alcester PLU/RegD       Warwickshire AncC
Place: Salford Priors

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.