Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SAMLESBURY

SAMLESBURY, a township-chapelry in Blackburn parish, Lancashire; on the river Ribble, 2 miles E S E of Fulwood r. station, and 3¾ E by N of Preston. It containspart of Mellor-Brook hamlet, which has a post-office under Blackburn, and Roach hamlet, which has a cotton-mill. Acres, 4, 270. Real property, £6, 951; of which £10 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 435; in 1861, 1, 215. Houses, 236. S. Old Hall is the seat of J. Harrison, Esq.; was erected in 1530, by Sir T. Southworth; was moated till the formation of the new road from Preston to Blackburn; contains a great hall, constructed of Massive and elegantly carved oak timbers; and was restored and finely embellished in 1864. Roach Hall datesfrom 1675, was long the residence of the Hoghton family, and is now a farm-house. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The church is ancient. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and charities £35.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township-chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Blackburn CP/AP       Samlesbury CP/Ch       Lancashire AncC
Place: Samlesbury

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.