Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SCALBY

SCALBY, a village, a township, and a parish, in Scarborough district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on a brook of its own name, 3 miles N W of Scarborough r. station; and has a post-office under Scarborough. The township extends to the coast, and comprises 2, 130 acres of land and 300 of water. Real property, with Newby, £6, 246. Pop., of S. alone, 643. Houses, 123. The parish contains also the townships of Newby, Throxenby, Burniston, Cloughton, and Stainton-Dale; and comprises 11, 935 acres. Pop., 1,876. Houses, 393. The property is much subdivided. S. brook traverses a pleasant glen to the sea; and S.-Mill, on thebrook below the village, has tea gardens, and is a resort of summer visitors from Scarborough. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £302.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich The church is ancient There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, an alms-house hospital with £13 a year, and other charities £12. Monpesson was vicar.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Scalby AP/CP       Scarborough PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Scalby

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.