Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SHENLEY

SHENLEY, a parish, with a village and three hamlets, in the district of Barnet and county of Hertford; 4¼ miles W of Potters-Bar r. station, and 5 NW of Barnet. It has a post-office under Barnet. Acres, 4,056. Real property, £9,367. Pop., 1,304. Houses, 281. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Porters House, belongs to T. B. Myers, Esq. S. House, S. Lodge, Colney House, the Grange, High Cannons, Well-end Lodge, and Rowley-Green are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £1,100.* Patrons, the Newcome family. The church is old but good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, three national schools, and charities £18. Falle, the historian of Jersey, was rector.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village and three hamlets"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Shenley CP/AP       Hertfordshire AncC
Place: Shenley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.