Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SHENLEY

SHENLEY, a parish in the districts of Newport-Pag-nelland Winslow, Bucks; near the Northwestern railway, 3¼ miles NW by N of Bletchley Junction r. station, and 4 SE of Stony-Stratford. It consists of a township and a hamlet, and has a post-office, of the name of S.-Church-End, under Stony-Stratford. Acres, 2,900. Real property, £4,598. Pop., 492. Houses, 105. The manor belongs to M. Knapp, Esq. S. House is the residence of J. Bailey, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £500.* Patron, M. Knapp, Esq. The church is early and decorated English, cruciform, and good, with a central tower. There are alms houses with £35 a year.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Shenley AP/CP       Shenley Church End CP       Buckinghamshire AncC
Place names: SHENLEY     |     SHENLEY CHURCH END
Place: Shenley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.