Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ACKLAM

ACKLAM, a township and a parish in Malton district, E. R. Yorkshire. The township is called Acklam-with-Barthorpe, and lies 5 miles ESE of Kirkham r. station, and 7 S of Malton. Acres, 1,860. Pop. 366. Houses, 82. The parish is called East Acklam, and contains also the township of Leavening. Post Town, Kirby-Underdale under York. Acres, 2,970. Real property, £1,621. Pop., 774. Houses, 184. The surface is on the Wolds, and commands a very extensive view. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £108.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was rebuilt in 1868. There are chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. Some ancient entrenchments and other works, British or Roman, are on the hills.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Acklam AP/CP/Ch       Acklam CP       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Acklam

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.