Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SPROUGHTON

SPROUGHTON, a parish, with a village, in Samford district, Suffolk; on the river Gipping, 3 miles W by N of Ipswich r. station. It has a postal letter-box under Ipswich. Acres, 2,393. Real property, £4,897. Pop., 598. Houses, 144. The Manor House, the Chauntry, Boss Hall, and Stone Lodge are chief residences. Beech water is a fine lake, skirted with trees. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £519.* Patron, the Marquis of Bristol. The church was recently restored. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Sproughton CP/AP       Samford PLU/RegD       Suffolk AncC
Place: Sproughton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.