Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for STANTON (Long) ALL SAINTS

STANTON (Long) ALL SAINTS, a parish, with a village, in Chesterton district, Cambridge; on the Cambridge and Huntingdon railway, 6 ½ miles NW by N of Cambridge. It has a post-office under Cambridge, and a r. station with telegraph. Acres, 1,856. Real property, with L. S.-St. Michael, £4,083. Pop., 440. Houses, 97. The manor belongs to E. H. Finch-Hatton, Esq. A palace of the Bishops of Ely stood here, and was visited by Queen Elizabeth. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £155.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is decorated English, and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £62.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Chesterton PLU/RegD       Cambridgeshire AncC
Place: Longstanton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.