Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for STANTON-ST. BERNARD

STANTON-ST. BERNARD, a parish in Devizes district, Wilts; on the Kennet and Avon canal, 2¼ miles NW by N of Woodborough r. station, and 5½ E by N of Devizes. It has a post-office under Marlborough. Acres, 1,979. Real property, £3,139. Pop., 358. Houses, 77. The manor belongs to the Earl of Pembroke. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £222.* Patron, the Earl of Pembroke. The church was recently rebuilt. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £47.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Stanton St Bernard AP/CP       Devizes PLU/RegD       Wiltshire AncC
Place: Stanton St Bernard

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.