Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for STRATTON-ON-THE-FOSSE

STRATTON-ON-THE-FOSSE, a parish, with a village, in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset; on the Fosse-way, 3¼ miles SSW of Radstock r. station. It has a post-office under Bath. Acres, 1,148. Real property, £2,138. Pop., 335. Houses, 86. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall. Coaland ironstone abound, and the coal is worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £100.* Patron, the Prince of Wales. The church is Norman. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Stratton on the Fosse CP/AP       Shepton Mallet PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Stratton on the Fosse

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.