Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for STRATTON (East)

STRATTON (East), a parish in Winchester district, Hants; 2½ miles ENE of Mitcheldever r. station, and 8 NNE of Winchester. Post town, Mitcheldever Station. Acres, 2,190. Real property, £2,283. Pop., 365. Houses, 70. The manor belonged anciently to Hyde abbey at Winchester; went, at the dissolution, to Sir T. Wriothesley; passed, by marriage with a daughter of the last Earl of Southampton, to William Lord Russell; and was sold, by his representative, to Sir Francis Baring. S. Park is the manorial mansion. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Mitcheldever. The church is ancient.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: East Stratton Ch/CP       Hampshire AncC
Place names: EAST STRATTON     |     STRATTON     |     STRATTON EAST
Place: East Stratton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.