Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SURLINGHAM

SURLINGHAM, a parish, with a village, in Henstead district, Norfolk; on the river Yare, 1¾ mile SSW of Brundall r. station, and 5 ESE of Norwich. It has a post-office under Norwich. Acres, 1,767. Real property, £3,517. Pop., 465. Houses, 103. The manor belongs to E. Tuck, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £120.* Patron, the Bishop of N. The church is old but good; and there was formerly another church, now a ruin. Charities £63.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Surlingham CP/AP       Henstead PLU/RegD       Norfolk AncC
Place: Surlingham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.