Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ABERYSCIR

ABERYSCIR, a parish in the district and county of Brecon; 2½ miles W by N of Brecon r. station. Post town, Brecon. Acres, 1,918. Real property, £1,224. Pop., 125. Houses, 26. The Yscir river falls here into the Usk; and has, on the right bank, the parish church, surrounded with yew,-on the left bank a rectangular camp and several ramparts, together with substructions of walls, supposed to have been a station of the Roman general Ostorins Scapula, preceded by the British town Banninm. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £136. Patron, the Rev. W. L. Joues. The church belonged anciently to Malvern priory, and is a poor structure.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Aberysgyr CP/AP       Brecknockshire AncC
Place: Aberysgyr

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.