Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for TETBURY

TETBURY, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Gloucester. The town stands on a rising-ground, 7 miles SSW of Tetbury-Road r. station, and 11 SW of Cirencester; is supposed to occupy the site of an ancient British strength, called Caer-Bladon; had anciently a monastic establishment, afterwards called Hacket-Court; is a seat of petty sessions; consists chiefly of four streets, meeting at a centre; and has a head post-office,‡ a banking office, two chief inns, a town hall, a market house, a police station, an assembly-room at one of the inns, a parochial church of 1784 with old tower and spire, a chapel of ease built in 1848, four dissenting chapels, a literary institute with library and reading room, an endowed grammar-school with £360 a year, another endowed school with £60, alms-house s, a workhouse, charities £653, a weekly market on Wednesday, and six annual fairs. Pop. in 1861,2,285. Houses, 491.—The parish includes four tythings, and comprises 4,582 acres. Real property, £14,099; of which £60 are in gasworks. Pop., 3,274. Houses, 690. The manor belongs to a local charity. Elmstree house , Upton Grove, and the Priory are chief residenccs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol-Value, £1,000.* Patron, Stanton, Esq.—The sub-district contains 7 parishes. Acres, 16,259. Pop, 4,640. Houses, 974.—The district includes also Didmarton sub-district, and comprises 25,641 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £2,441. Pop. in 1851, 6,254; in 1861, 6,110. Houses, 1,287. Marriages in 1863, 39; births, 164,-of which 3 were illegitimate; deaths, 109,-of which 33 were at ages under 5 years, and 4 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 423; births, 1,880; deaths, 1,130. The places of worship, in 1851, were 15 of the Church of England, with 3,521 sittings; 1 of Independents, with 240 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 450 s.; 1 of Wesleyans, with 144 s.; 2 undefined, with 460 s.: and 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 70 s. The schools were 11 public day-schools, with 545 scholars; 9 private day-schools, with 138 s.; and 15 Sunday schools, with 908 s.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Tetbury AP/CP       Tetbury SubD       Tetbury PLU/RegD       Gloucestershire AncC
Place: Tetbury

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.