Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for THRIPLOW

THRIPLOW, a parish and a hundred in Cambridge. The parish lies 2¾ miles WSW of Whittlesford r. station, and 7 NE by E of Royston; and is in Royston district. Post town, Royston. Acres, 2,489. Real property, £3,639. Pop., 502. Houses, 98. The property is divided chiefly among five. T. Heath was a grand rendezvous of the army under Fairfax and Cromwell in July 1647. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £129.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is ancient. There are an Independent chapel and two public schools. -The hundred contains ten parishes. Acres, 16,160. Pop., 5,388. Houses, 1,174.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish and a hundred"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Thriplow AP/CP       Thriplow Hundred       Cambridgeshire AncC
Place: Thriplow

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.