Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for TICKENHAM

TICKENHAM, a parish, with a straggling village, in Bedminster district, Somerset; 2½ miles NNW of Nailsea r. station, and 9 W by S of Bristol. Post town, Clevedon. Acres, 1,627. Real property, £3,342. Pop., 401. Houses, 82. The manor belongs to Sir J. H. G. Smyth, Bart. T. House is the seat of R. M. Bernard, Esq. Cadbury barrow crowns a hill; and a Roman camp is supposed to have been there. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £165.* Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is ancient. there are a Brethren's chapel, and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Tickenham AP/CP       Long Ashton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Tickenham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.