Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for THURSFIELD, or Newchapel

THURSFIELD, or Newchapel, a chapelry in Wolstanton parish, Stafford; 1½ mile E by N of Kidsgrove-Junction r. station, and 3 N of Burslem. It was constituted in 1846; it extends much beyond T. proper, or T. township; and it has a post-office, of the name of Newchapel, under Stoke-upon-Trent. Pop., 3,440. Houses, 630. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £110.* Patrons, R. Sneyd, Esq., and others. The church was built in 1767, and repaired in 1827. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Wolstanton AP/CP       Staffordshire AncC
Place names: NEWCHAPEL     |     THURSFIELD     |     THURSFIELD OR NEWCHAPEL
Place: Newchapel

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.