Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for TURNHAM-GREEN

TURNHAM-GREEN, a chapelry, with a village, in Chiswick parish, Middlesex; 1 mile N by E of Chiswick r. station. It was constituted in 1845; and it has a post-office‡ under London W. Pop., 2,623. Houses, 517. There are numerous good residences; and ruins exist of Heathfield House, the seat of Lord Lovat, who was executed in 1746. Lord Essex encamped here in 1642; Waller, in 1643; and a skirmish was fought with Prince Rupert. Roman coins were found in 1731. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of L. The church was built in 1843, at a cost of £6,000. The Ladies' Institution for female idiots is here.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Chiswick St Nicholas AP/CP       Middlesex AncC
Place: Turnham Green

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.