Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Buchanty

Buchanty, a decayed hamlet in Fowlis-Wester parish, Perthshire, on the S bank of the Almond, 10 miles NE of Crieff. It has a bridge, amid fine wooded scenery; and it anciently had a chapel, now entirely removed. At Buchanty, too, Skene places 'Banatia,' a frontier town of the 'Vacomagi,' a strong Roman station here being overlooked by a commanding native strength on Dunmore Hill.


(F.H. Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4); © 2004 Gazetteer for Scotland)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a decayed hamlet"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Fowlis Wester ScoP       Perthshire ScoCnty

Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.