Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for UBLEY, or Obleigh

UBLEY, or Obleigh, a parish, with a village, in Clutton district, Somerset; under the Mendip hills, 8 miles SSE of Nailsea r. station, and 8 N by W of Wells. Post town, Temple-Cloud, under Bristol. Acres, 1,811. Real property, £2,703. Pop., 307. Houses, 66. The property is much subdivided. Lead ore is worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £200.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £5. A cattle fair is held on 4 Sept.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Ubley AP/CP       Clutton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place names: OBLEIGH     |     UBLEY     |     UBLEY OR OBLEIGH
Place: Ubley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.