Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WALPOLE-ST. ANDREW

WALPOLE-ST. ANDREW, a parish, with W.-St. A. village, and Cross-Keys hamlet, in the district of Wisbeach and county of Norfolk; at W. r. station, 8½ miles W by S of Lynn. It has a post-office under Wisbeach; and it gives the title of Baron to Earl Orford. Acres, 3,494; of which 1,130 are water. Real property, £6,131. Pop., 709. Houses, 162. The manor belongs to the Rev.H. Townshend. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £1,259.* Patron, the Rev.H. Townshend. The church is good. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a parochial school, three alms houses, and other charities £35.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Walpole St Andrew CP/AP       Norfolk AncC
Place: Walpole St Andrew

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.