Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WAVENDON

WAVENDON, a village and a parish in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks. The village stands 1 mile NNW of Woburn-Sands r. station, and 4 NE of Fenny-Stratford; and has a post-office under Woburn, and a police station. The parish includes Woburn-Sands hamlet, and comprises 2,665 acres. Real property, £4,871. Pop., 879. Houses, 202. The property is much subdivided. W. House is the seat of H. A. Hoare, Esq. Fuller's earth is at W. Heath; and a Roman amphora was found there. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £800.* Patron, H. A. Hoare, Esq. The church was restored in 1849. The p. curacy of Woburn-Sands is a separate benefice. A Quakers' chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, and a national school, are at Woburn-Sands; and an endowed school and Charities £175 are at Wavendon.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Wavendon CP/AP       Newport Pagnell PLU/RegD       Buckinghamshire AncC
Place: Wavendon

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.