Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WEMBURY

WEMBURY, a parish, with a village, in Plympton-St, Mary district, Devon; on the coast, at the mouth of the river Yealm, 6 miles SE of Plymouth r. station. Post town, Plymouth. Acres, 3,205; of which 140 are water. Real property, £4,692. Pop., 561. Houses, 99. W. manor belonged formerly to Plympton priory, and belongs now E. R. P. Bastard, Esq. Langdon manor, with L. Court, belongs to V. P. Calmady, Esq. South W. House, Hollowcombe House, Bovi Sand House, and Train Barton are chief residences. The scenery of the coast is romantic and wild. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £83. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is later English. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an alms-house with £30 a year, and charities £33.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Wembury AP/CP       Devon AncC
Place: Wembury

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.