Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WHAPLODE

WHAPLODE, a village and a parish in Holbeach district, Lincoln. The village stands on the Spalding and Lynn railway, 2¼ miles W by S of Holbeach; is large and scattered; and has a post-office under Spalding, and a r. station. The parish includes W.-Drove chapelry, and comprises 10,164 acres. Real property, £23,300. Pop. in 1851, 2,564; in 1861, 2,462. Houses, 509. The property is much subdivided; and there are seven manors. Irby Hall was anciently a seat of the Irbys, and is now a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £605.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Norman and good. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a free school, and alms houses.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Whaplode CP/AP       Holbeach PLU/RegD       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Whaplode

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.