Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WICKERSLEY

WICKERSLEY, a parish, with a village, in Rotherham district, W. R. Yorkshire; 3¾ miles E by S of Rotherham r. station. It has a post-office under Rotherham. Acres, 1,230. Real property, £2,672; of which £199 are in quarries. Pop., 709. Houses, 148. The property is subdivided. W. Hall is the seat of Dr. H. Yates. The quarries here furnish grindstones for the Sheffield cutlers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £400.* Patron, the Rev. J. Cox. The church was rebuilt in 1834. There are two Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £7.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Wickersley AP/CP       Rotherham PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Wickersley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.