Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WIGGENHALL-ST. GERMANS

WIGGENHALL-ST. GERMANS, a parish and a village, in Downham district, Norfolk; on the river Ouse, 2½ miles NNW of Watlington r. station, and 4 SSW of Lynn. It has a post-office‡ under Lynn, and a wooden bridge over the Ouse. Acres, 1,219. Real property, £3,648. Pop. in 1851, 750; in 1861, 633. Houses, 156. The decrease of pop. was caused by absence of labourers on the Eau-Brink drainage works. The property is much subdivided. All the four W. parishes are in Fitton manor; and much of the land is below the high-water level of the Ouse, and protected by strong embankments. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £160.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of N. The church is ancient; and there are three Methodist chapels.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish and a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Wiggenhall St German CP/AP       Wiggenhall St Germans CP       Downham PLU/RegD       Norfolk AncC
Place: Wiggenhall St German

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.