Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ATCHAM

ATCHAM, a township, a parish, a subdistrict, and a district in Salop. The township lies at the influx of the Tern to the Severn, 2 miles SSW of Upton-Magna r. station, 4 SE of Shrewsbury, and 6¼ W by N of the Wrekin. It also bears the name of Attingham; and has an inn. The parish includes also the townships of Berwick, Chilton, Cronkhill, Emstray, and Uckington; and has a post office under Shrewsbury. Acres, 3,762. Real property, £4,851. Pop., 406. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. Attingham Hall is the seat of Lord Berwick, and contains a fine gallery of paintings, chiefly by the early Italian masters, also a fine collection of Etruscan vases and other antiquities from Herculaneum. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £330. Patron, R. Burton, Esq. The church has a good Norman doorway, an old porch, a reading-desk with carved panels, and an ivy-covered square tower; but is in very bad condition. Charities, £84. Ordericus Vitalis, the historian, born in 1074, was a native.-The subdistrict comprises the parishes of Atcham, Uppington, Leighton, Eaton-Constantine, and Wroxeter. Acres, 12,316. Pop., 1,699. Houses, 347.—The district comprehends also the subdistrict of Battlefield, containing the parishes of Battlefield, Preston-Gubbals, Uffington,-Upton-Magna, and Withington, the extra-parochial tract of Hanghmond-Demesne, and part of the parish of St. Mary-Shrewsbury; the subdistrict of Montford, containing the parishes of Montford, Melverley, Shrawardine, and Fitz; the sub district of Alberbury, containing the parishes of Cardeston and Ford, and part of the parish of Alberbury, portions of which are electorally in Montgomery; the subdistrict of Westbury, conterminate with the parish of Westbury; the subdistrict of Pontesbury, containing the parishes of Pontesbury, Habberley, and Great Hanwood; and the subdistrict of Condover, containing the parishes of Condover, Harley, Shineton, Cound, Kenley, Hughley, Church-Preen, Acton-Burnell, Frodesley, Pitchford, Berrington, Sutton, Stapleton, and Church-Pulverbatch. Poor-rates in 1866, £8,972. Pop. in 1841, 18,842; in 1861, 19,455. Houses, 3,848. Marriages in 1866, 105; births, 538,-of which 36 were illegitimate; deaths, 344,-of which 75 were at ages under 5 years, and 27 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60. 974; births, 5,352; deaths, 3,499. The places of worship in 1851 were 43 of the Church of England, with 9,027 sittings; 9 of Independents, with 1,299 s.; 4 of Baptists, with 433 s.; 5 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 290 s.; 1 of New Connexion Methodists, with 96 s.; 16 of Primitive Methodists, with 1,219 s.; 1 of Calvinistic Methodists, with 125 s.; 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 40 s.; and 1 of Roman Catholics, with 170 s. The schools were 29 public day schools, with 1,703 scholars; 24 private day schools, with 388 s.; and 32 Sunday schools, with 1,391 s. The workhouse is in Berrington.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township, a parish, a subdistrict, and a district"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Atcham CP/AP       Atcham SubD       Atcham PLU/RegD       Shropshire AncC
Place: Atcham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.