Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for AUDLEY

AUDLEY, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Newcastle-under-Lyne, Stafford. The township lies 3 miles W of Harecastle tunnel on the Grand Trunk canal, 3 S of Alsager r. station, and 5¼ NW by N of Newcastle-under-Lyne. It has a post office‡ under Newcastle-under-Lyne; and it gives the title of Baron to the family of Touchet. Real property, £4,189. Pop., 1,556. Houses, 317. The parish includes also the liberty of Halmer-End, and the townships off Talk-o' th'-Hill, Eardley-End, Knowl-End, Bignall-End, and Park-End. Acres, 8,530. Real property, £30,383,-of which £11,431 are in mines. Pop., 6,494. Houses, 1,330. The property is much subdivided Heleigh Castle, now a ruin, was the seat of the Audleys. Coal and ironstone are worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £520.* Patron, the Rev. E. Gilbert. The church was restored in. 1846 and 1856, and has some fine features. The vicarage of Talk o'-th'-Hill is a separate charge. There are Methodist chapels. Vernon's grammar school has an endowed income of £115, and other charities have £35.-The-subdistrict comprises two parishes and part of a third. Acres, 11,171. Pop., 7,625. Houses, 1,566.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township, a parish, and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Audley AP/CP       Audley SubD       Staffordshire AncC
Place: Audley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.