Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BACKWELL, or Bachwell

BACKWELL, or Bachwell, a parish in Bedminster district, Somerset; 1 mile SE of Nailsea r. station, and 7 WSW of Bristol. It includes the hamlets of Church Town, Downside, Farley, Mooreside, and West-Town; and its Post Town is Nailsea. Acres, 2,902. Real property, £6,223. Pop., 926. Houses, 183. The property is subdivided. Coal is extensively mined; and building-stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage, and a sinecure rectory, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value of the vicarage, £144; of the rectory, £253.* Patron of the vicarage, Mrs. Uniacke; of the rectory, the Marquis of Bath. The church is good, and has a very fine tower; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £46.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Backwell AP/CP       Long Ashton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place names: BACHWELL     |     BACKWELL     |     BACKWELL OR BACHWELL
Place: Backwell

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.