Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BARNOLDSWICK

BARNOLDSWICK, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Skipton, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies adjacent to the Leeds and Liverpoolcanal, 5 miles N of Colne; and has a post office‡ under Colne. A railway from it, 2 miles long, to the Leeds and Bradford, was authorised in 1867. Acres, 2,020. Pop., 2,810. Houses, 550. The parish is also called Gill-Kirk, from the situation of its church on the verge of a deep glen; and includes likewise the townships of Salterforth, Coates, and Brogden-with-Admergill. Acres, 6,040. Real property, £12,515. Pop., 3,478. Houses, 687. The property is much subdivided. Munch of the surface is hilly and high. An abbey was founded here in 1147; but, in consequence of local disputes, was removed to Kirkstall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £162.* Patron, R. Hodson, Esq. The church is Norman. There are four dissenting chapels and a national school.-The subdistrict comprises four parishes. Acres, 17,463. Pop., 5,986. Houses, 1,191.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township, a parish, and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Barnoldswick AP/CP       Barnoldswick SubD       Yorkshire AncC
Place names: BARNOLDSWICK     |     GILL KIRK
Place: Barnoldswick

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.