Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BEDDINGHAM

BEDDINGHAM, a parish in Lewes district, Sussex; on the river Ouse and on the South Coast railway, near Glynde station, 2½ miles SE of Lewes. It has a post office under Lewes. Acres, 2,918. Real property, £2,857. Pop., 334. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. The manor is mentioned in the will of King Alfred; and had a monastery in the beginning of the 9th century. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of West Firle, in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £480. Patrons, the Bishop and the Dean and Chapter of Chichester alternately. The church was restored in 1858.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Beddingham AP/CP       Sussex AncC
Place: Beddingham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.