Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BENGEO

BENGEO, a parish in the district and county of Hertford; on the river Rib, and on Ermine-street, adjacent to the Hertfordshire railway, 1 mile N of Hertford, and partly within Hertford borough. Post Town, Hertford. Acres, 3,047. Real property, £8,150. Pop., 1,791. Houses, 355. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £620.* Patron, A. Smith, Esq. There are an old church now disused, a new church built in 1855, two chapels of ease, a Calvinistic chapel, three national schools, a reformatory, four alms-houses, and other charities £45.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Bengeo AP/CP       Hertfordshire AncC
Place: Bengeo

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.