Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BEXLEY-HEATH

BEXLEY-HEATH, a village and a chapelry in Bexley parish, Kent. The Village stands 1½ mile NW of Bexley r. station; is modern, pleasant, large, and rapidly increasing; and has a post office under London SE, a market house, a police station, a church with lofty spire, three dissenting chapels, a public library and reading rooms. The chapelry was constituted in 1866. Pop., 2,989. The living is a vicarage. Value, £160. Patron, Viscount Sydney.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Bexley AP/CP       Kent AncC
Place: Bexleyheath

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.