Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BIRDSALL

BIRDSALL, a parish in Malton district and E. R. Yorkshire; 1¾ mile SW of North Grimston r. station, and 5 ½. S by E of New Malton. Post Town, North Grimston, under Malton. Acres, 3,972. Real property, £3,780. Pop., 355. Houses, 52. The property is divided among a few. Birdsall Hall, formerly a seat of Lord Middleton, is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £40. Patron, the Marquis of Hertford. The church is a handsome edifice, built in 1814 by Lord Middleton. Henry Burton, the famous puritan divine who died in 1648, was a native.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Birdsall CP/AP       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Birdsall

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.