Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BIRLINGHAM

BIRLINGHAM, a parish in Pershore district, Worcester; on the river Avon, 1½ mile E of Defford r. station, and 2½ SSW of Pershore. It has a post office under Pershore. Acres, 1,210. Real property, £3,847. Pop., 353. Houses, 74. The property is divided among a few. Birlingham Court is the seat of the Porter family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £205.* Patron, the Rev. R. E. Landor. The church is mainly modern, but has an old tower, and includes an ancient Saxon arch. Charities, £12.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Birlingham CP/Ch/AP       Pershore PLU/RegD       Worcestershire AncC
Place: Birlingham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.