Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BITTON

BITTON, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Keynsham, and county of Gloucester. The village stands near the confluence of the Boyd and the Avon, adjacent to the Julian way, 2 miles NE of Keynsham r. station, and 6 SE of Bristol; and it has a post office under Bristol.—The parish includes also Hanham chapelry and Oldland hamlet, with Kingswood village. Acres, 7,156. Real property, £28,319; of which £1,594 are in mines. Pop., 9,630. Houses, 2,032. The property is much subdivided. Coal and iron ore are worked; and the workers at them, in last century, were noted for vicious character, and for reclamation by the preaching of Wesley and his associates. Traces of many Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £390.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is partly Norman, partly perpendicular English; and has a good tower. The vicarages of Hanham, Oldland, and Kingswood are separate benefices. There are a Wesleyan chapel, national schools, and charities £26.-The subdistrict comprises three parishes. Acres, 8,267. Pop., 5,071. Houses, 1,063.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Bitton AP/CP       Bitton SubD       Gloucestershire AncC
Place: Bitton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.