Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BLACKTOFT

BLACKTOFT, a township and a parish in Howden district, E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Ouse, nearly opposite the influx of the Trent, 3 miles S by E of Staddlethorpe r. station, and 7 ESE of Howden; and it includes the hamlet of Staddlethorpe, and has a post office under Howden. Real property, £3,280. Pop., 420. Houses, 86. The parish-contains also the township of Scalby. Acres, 3,313. Real property, £4,733. Pop., 534. Houses, 107. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £220.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is very good


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Blacktoft CP/AP/Ch       Howden PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Blacktoft

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.