Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BROADWATER

BROADWATER, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in worthing district, Sussex. The village stands near the South Coast railway, 1 mile N of Worthing; and has a post office under Worthing. It was formerly a market-town, under the Camois family, who had a castle adjacent to it; and it still has fairs on 22 June and 29 Oct. The parish includes also the township and town of Worthing. Acres, 2,560; of which 320 are water. Real property, £34,453. Pop., 6,466. Houses, 1,188. The property is much subdivided. Offington, anciently the seat of the Lords Delawarr, now that of J. F. Danbury, Esq., is about ½ a mile W of the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £600.* Patron, the Rev. E. K. Elliott. The church is cruciform, and was restored in 1854. The vicarage of Christchurch and the p. curacies of Worthing and St. George are separate benefices. Charities, £25.-The subdistrict contains five parishes. Pop., 8,387.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Broadwater AP/CP       East Preston Inc/PLU/RegD       Sussex AncC
Place: Broadwater

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.