Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BROCKHAM, or Brockham Green

BROCKHAM, or Brockham Green, a village and a chapelry in Betchworth parish, Surrey. The village stands on the river Mole, 1½ mile SW of Betchworth r. station, and 2 E of Dorking; and has a post office, of the name of Brockham Green, under Reigate. The chapelry was constituted in 1848. Pop., 761. Houses, 147. The property is all in one estate. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £100.* Patron, Col. Goulburn. The church is a neat edifice in the Norman style, with a spire; and there are a Baptist chapel and a girls' orphanage. See Betchworth.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Betchworth AP/CP       Surrey AncC
Place names: BROCKHAM     |     BROCKHAM GREEN     |     BROCKHAM OR BROCKHAM GREEN
Place: Brockham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.