Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BURNESTON

BURNESTON, a township and a parish in Bedale district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies near the river Swale, 4 miles SE of Bedale, and 3 W of Sinderby r. station. Acres, 1,185. Real property, £2.368. Pop., 290. Houses, 70. The parish contains also the townships of Gatenby, Theakstone, Carthorpe, and Exelby, Leeming, and Newton; and its Post Town is Bedale. Acres, 7,411. Real property, £13,261. Pop., 1,554. Houses, 355. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £546.* Patron, the Duke of Cleveland. The church was restored in 1854; and has a splendid eastern memorial window to the late Duke of Cleveland. The p. curacy of Leeming is a separate charge. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £29.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Burneston CP/AP       Bedale PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Burneston

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.