Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CARSHALTON

CARSHALTON-pronounced Casehorton or Cayshorton-a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in Epsom district,. Surrey. The village stands near the river Wandle and the Epsom railway, 3 miles W by S of Croydon; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under London, S. It was known at Domesday as Aulton; and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 2,904 acres. Real property, £14,178. Pop., 2,538. Houses, 492. The property is subdivided. Carshalton Park was formerly the seat of Sir N. Throckmorton, Dr. Radcliffe and the Scawens; and is now occupied by James Aitken, Esq. The parish is watered by the Wandle and its head streams; and has flour, paper, oil, and snuff mills. A spring, overarched with stone, close to the churchyard, is traditionally associated with Queen Anne Boleyn, and bears her name. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £875.* Patron, Albert Cator, Esq. The church is early English, much altered, but in good condition; and contains a remarkable brass of Sheriff Gaynesford, who died in 1490, and three elaborate monuments of last century. There are gas works, a police station, a British school, a national school, an infant school, and charities £58. The subdistrict contains four parishes. Acres, 12,119. Pop., 8,341. Houses, 1,451.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 3rd order divisions")
Administrative units: Carshalton CP/AP       Carshalton SubD       Surrey AncC
Place names: AULTON     |     CARSHALTON
Place: Carshalton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.