Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CAXTON

CAXTON, a decayed town, a parish, a subdistrict, and a district in Cambridgeshire. The town stands on Ermine-street, 3½ miles NNW of North Road r. station, and 9½ W of Cambridge; and has a post office‡ under Royston and two inns. It had a market from the 13th century till the middle of the 18th; and it still has a fair on the 12th of Oct.—The parish comprises 2,000 acres. Real property, £2,276. Pop., 545. Houses, 97. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the D'Eschallerses, the Freviles, the Burgoynes, and others. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £80.* Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church contains some old tombs; and was recently restored. There are a national school and a workhouse. M. Paris, the historian, was a native.-The subdistrict and the district are co-extensive; and contain the parishes of Caxton, Bourn, Knapwell, Elsworth, Longstow, Hatley-St. George, East Hatley, Tadlow, Croydon-cum-Clapton, Arrington, Wimpole, Orwell, Little Eversden, Great Eversden, Kingston, Caldecote, Toft, Hardwicke, Gamlingay, Eltisley, Croxton, Papworth-St. Everard, Little Gransden, Great Gransden, Yelling, and Papworth-St. Agnes,-the last partly and the two previous wholly in Huntingdon-proper. Acres, 49,885. Poor-rates in 1866, £5,414. Pop. in 1861, 10,966. Houses, 2,200. Marriages in 1866, 56; births, 416,-of which 30 were illegitimate; deaths, 236,-of which 113 were at ages under 3 years, and 12 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 733; births, 3,907; deaths, 2,046. The places of worship in 1851 were 26 of the Church of England, with 4,951 sittings; 2 of Independents, with 740 s.; 7 of Baptists, with 1,757 s.; 5 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 688 s.; and 1 of Primitive Methodists, with 70 s. The schools were 17 public day schools, with 1,282 scholars; 8 private day schools, with 196 s.; and 27 Sunday schools, with 1,716 s. The workhouse has capacity for 215 inmates.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a decayed town, a parish, a subdistrict, and a district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Caxton AP/CP       Caxton SubD       Caxton PLU/RegD       Cambridgeshire AncC
Place: Caxton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.