Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHARLES THE MARTYR

CHARLES THE MARTYR, a subdistrict in the district of Plymouth, and a parish in the districts of Plymouth and Plympton-St. Mary, Devon. The subdistrict is part of the borough of Plymouth. Acres, 876 of land, and 240 of water. Pop., 23,390. Houses, 2,421.—The parish includes also the tything of Compton-Gifford. Acres, 1,517 of land, and 240 of water. Pop., 24,270. Houses, 2,561. The living is a vicarage, with the p. curacy of Compton-Gifford, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £575. Patrons, the Executors of the late SirBishop, Bart. See Plymouth.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 3rd order divisions")
Administrative units: Plymouth Charles AP/CP       Devon AncC
Place: Plymouth

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.